Mobile Menu

Grad Accepted to Prestigious JET Program in Japan

Alex Jones in Japan

Alex Jones earned a bachelor’s degree in English with a teaching emphasis and a minor in Japanese from Boise State this spring, and since graduation he has been busy preparing to travel to Japan and begin a new job at the prestigious Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program (JET).

The JET program began in 1987 with the goal of promoting and enhancing foreign language education for Japanese youth, as well as developing and fostering international relationships and cultural understanding between Japanese and foreign youth. About 60,000 students have participated since it was founded.

“Programs like JET are important because they allow countries that demand a certain proficiency in English to meet actual people from countries where English is more dominant,” Jones said. “Not only do Americans participate in the JET program, but English speakers all over the world. This allows for more transcultural flow between countries and native English speakers. Hopefully programs like JET will allow more people to understand other communities around the world and create a more open-minded, educated globe.”

Jones will work as an assistant language teacher, teaching English to students at the elementary through high school level, as well as training Japanese teachers in English.Alex Jones in front of a statue in Japan

This trip to Japan won’t be Jones’ first. He spent the spring 2014 semester studying abroad at Chukyo University in Nagoya, Japan, and credits his studying abroad experience with giving him the skills, background and experience necessary for his new position with JET and for creating his interest and goal for working for the JET program.

“I applied to the JET program because I wanted to teach in a country other than the United States,” Jones said, “I have a strong interest in the Japanese country, culture and language. After I left my study abroad in 2014 at Chukyo University, I knew that I wanted to come back. The JET program allows me to do all the things my degree has prepared me for and that is why I wanted to make it my goal post-college.”

By Becca Burke

BY: SHERRY SQUIRES   PUBLISHED 12:10 PM / JUNE 7, 2016

This entry was posted in COAS, English News, World Languages News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.